Lastovo – A country tourist estate on a paradise island
The Podanje Estate, in the ownership of the Simić family is the first agricultural family estate on the island of Lastovo, which represents the start of agricultural tourism in Croatia`s youngest nature park. Around Lastovo, which many refer to as paradise on Earth, there are 46 islets and on the island itself there are 46 small churches and 46 fields. Podanje, which can accommodate 46 guests, is located on one of those fields, the Prgovo field.
The household is located in a stone house, between an olive grove and a one hundred year old češvina (a type of evergreen oak tree) which creates a lovely breeze during the summer heat. Adding to the whole atmosphere are the smells and flavours of dishes prepared from exclusively domestic ingredients grown in the fields of Lastovo. Proving how good the climate is on the estate there are the octopuss who come out in the nearby bay looking for some shade during the summer heat.
Lastovo Archipelago, with Lastovo as the largest island is located south of Korčula and is one of the ten paradise gardens on the Mediterranean, according to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
Latovo was named by Greek seamen and merchants who sailed to the land of the Ilyrians from southern colonies. The name Ladesta, Ladeston or Ladoston, was given to it because of its similarity to the island of Lado in the Ionian Sea. The Romans gave the island its Latin name – Augusta Insula – Emperor`s island.
Throught its turbulent history there were many rulers on Lastovo. After the Greeks and the Roman Empire it was under Byzantine rule, then under the Croatian Empire and then the Venteian Republic. In the 13th century it voluntarily became a part of the Dubrovnik Republic.
At the beginning of the 17th century it was briefly under the rule of Venice and then it went back to the Dubrovnik Republic, which was abolished by the French at the beginning of the 19th century. Latovo was then briefly taken over by the British, and in 1815 became a part of the Habsburg Monarchy. From the end of World War I until the capitulation of fascist Italy in 1943, it was under Italian occupation.
There are a few villages on the island but Lastovo is the largest. It is an old medieval town with an amphitheatrical shape and a long and interesting history. There one can find beautiful family houses from the 15th and 16th century, which are richly decorated with “fumari” (chimneys). This is a unique architectural expression from the 17th and 18th centuries. The people of Lastovo have always competed amongst each other as to who will have a more original chimney.
The island of Lastovo is full of beautiful bays, Zaklopatica and Pasadur on the north coast, Skrivena Luka and Ubli on the south coast and Lučica at the foot of Lastovo is the most famous among tourists.